[Bio-Linux] Firewall logs and backup drives "2"

Dan Swan dswan at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Jan 28 07:22:30 EST 2004

Just to clarify my previous email:

Those of you who have edited syslog.conf (this is the master
configuration file the system event logger) will notice that the line I
gave to add in is slightly different to those already in there.

I suggested:

kern.=debug                     -/var/log/firewall.log

if you wish to maintain the look and feel of syslog conf:

kern.=debug                     /var/log/firewall.log

is equally appropriate - removing the trailing "-" is not an issue.

I also forgot to mention (thanks to Rob Ansderson of Imperial College)
that if you were to create a cron.monthly job to e2fsck the backup drive
(basically think of it as a disk integrity checker like Windows
Scandisk) you will need to chmod 755 the file you create:

sudo chmod 755 /etc/cron.monthly/check.sh

otherwise it will not run!

Cheeers,

Dan

--
Dr Dan Swan - Bio-Linux Developer | RHCE
EGTDC, CEH, Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3SR
http://bio-linux.net/ | dswan at ceh.ac.uk