[Bio-Linux] Bio-Linux update

Dan Swan dswan at ceh.ac.uk
Tue Jan 27 10:09:17 EST 2004

Hello all,

This is just a reminder to you all that Red Hat 7.3, which Bio-Linux 1.X
and 2.X were based on is no longer being updated with security patches.
  Consequently this is another call for people to take up upgrade slots
as we phase out support for versions of Bio-Linux prior to 3.0.  Those
of you on non-EG grants are more than welcome to join this upgrade path
as we are very grateful for all the input you have given us into the
project as early external adopters.

The Bio-Linux team is currently working on ways to provide Bio-Linux
more widely available.  The project now has space at bioinformatics.org
the biggest resource for Open Source bioinformatics.  We may migrate the
mailing lists there at some point, but the upshot of this is that
colleagues external to the programme who wish to get Bio-Linux will be
able to do so from this site.  The site also supports a bug reporting
system that we might start using for reporting issues.  We will soon be
issuing a new SOP for Bio-Linux installs external to the EG community.

We are also considering major changes to the underlying OS of Bio-Linux
for future versions.  This has come about by Red Hat's migration towards
the enterprise and the spin off of Fedora.  This means we are currently
in the process of evaluating other Linux distributions in order to give
Bio-Linux the most supported, most stable base we can.  Currently our
list of candidates is SuSE, Fedora (Red Hat), Debian, Knoppix (Debian),
Morphix and BioBrew (Red Hat).  If anyone has reasonable points they
would like to make for, or against these choices, then we would be very
interested to hear them.

There have been minor updates to Bio-Linx 3.0 since the last mailing.
Your Yum logs (/var/log/yum.log*) should include:

gaim 1:0.75-0.9.0.i386
mc 1:4.6.0-7.9.i386
slocate 2.7-2.i386
cvs 1.11.2-13.i386
kdepim-devel 6:3.1-6.i386
tcpdump 14:3.7.2-7.9.1.i386
kdepim 6:3.1-6.i386
libpcap 14:0.7.2-7.9.1.i386
ethereal 0.10.0a-0.90.1.i386
ethereal-gnome 0.10.0a-0.90.1.i386

regards,

Dan

--
Dr Dan Swan - Bio-Linux Developer | RHCE
EGTDC, CEH, Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3SR
http://bio-linux.net/ | dswan at ceh.ac.uk