[Bio-linux] Network question

Kerr Wall pkerrwall at psu.edu
Tue Nov 26 10:49:30 EST 2002

Milo,

Whenerver I use '/sbin/service network restart' it starts eth0 and eth1
which was causing me problems when I first installed a couple of weeks ago.
I uses 'sudo redhat-network-config' to make the following network changes:

In the devices tab, I deactivate eth1 and edit eth0 to statically set the
following IP info (Address: 192.168.1.28, Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0,
Default Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1, these values are from the biology
system admin who is a windows sys admin, so he's no help in this).  In the
Hosts tab, I have 2 entries - IP: 127.0.0.1, Name: localhost.localdomain,
Aliases: localhost & IP: 192.168.1.28, Name: depcla18, Aliases: fgpclone.
In the DNS tab, I set hostname: depcla18, primary DNS (192.168.1.3 &
192.168.1.11), and the DNS search path to bio.psu.edu & psu.edu

>From a previous email:
>>boot up process, I get the following response >repeatedly while the boot
>>process continues:
>>Martian source 128.118.180.255 from 128.118.180.129 on >ev eth0

>This is not a serious problem. It refers to an unusual type of packet that is
>being detected on the eth0 interface. When your machine is working, I can ssh
>in and fix things so you don't see this, if you wish.

How do I turn off eth1? Would this fix this problem? And when I execute the
network restart command, how do I set eth1 not to activate?

I just got things working (not sure how), but if you could help me address
the other questions I would be happy.  You can also ssh to the machine using
depcla18.bio.psu.edu (I just ssh'd from genomics).  I'm still having a video
card problem as well.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Kerr