[Bio-linux] Re: PSU bio-linux clone

Kerr Wall pkerrwall at psu.edu
Fri Nov 15 11:19:59 EST 2002

On 11/15/02 6:40 AM, "Dawn Field" <dfield at ceh.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Last I saw Kerr wrote the machine was fine except for the ssh issue...
>
> Sure, we'd like a list of the problems because we can add them to the FAQ.
> Milo and Nic are gone until Monday - I believe they offered to buy a machine
> the same as yours and re-image so that you wouldn't have hardware detection
> problems, but I don't know the final status of buying that exact machine in
> the UK - plus Nic was playing around with a similar machine in the lab
> yesterday, but I'm not sure what the verdict was - issues with the
> network/graphics card?
You're right, I did say that.  Anyway, I have fixed the problem.  It was an
error in my narc.conf file.  I don't have my server log right now, but I
think I have a pretty good of what I did and didn't do.  When I rebooted,
the os found new hardware, specifically, an extra ethernet adapter (card?).
I never had the correct ethernet slot (eth0) configured correctly in the
narc.conf file.  I also had to run 'sudo redhat-config-network' and
deactivate the second ethernet card (eth1) making sure that everything in
the firewall file was pointing to eth0.  I also changed the server name to
depcla18 which is the entry in our DNS server.  I now have all services
running on the machine which is visible fro the outside world.

> We really appreciate your using the machine becuase you are so development
> oriented.  One our end, Nic Bertrand, our bioinformatics office has also
> customized a clone in his office to do a wide variety of things (run postfix
> instead of sendmail for example), Joe, our new EGTDC Data Manager
> (bioinformatician) is starting to develop on the machine (mysql, postgres and
> transcriptomics software) and I'm doing apache/Perl/Perl-cgi on another clone,
> so we hope to learn a lot more about how to make these machines as
> user-friendly as possible.
I really appreciate being able to clone your machine.  This has really
helped me out tremendously and I hopefully can help the install process go
smother for others.  Remember that my sys-admin skills really suck and
someimes I take 2 steps backwards when I edit one of these config files.
Although, I am starting to get a little bit better understanding of the
system through this install.

> Hi Milo and Dawn,
>
> Kerr is still having system admin. problems with our new Dell server.  Can
> we set up a call for Monday morning to go over the problems we are having
> and come up with a plan for working through these?
The main thing I need now is for someone to ssh and check out my files,
specifically the graphics.  I'm still scared to run Xconfigurator again
(that's what started the mess last Friday).

> Could you please send out a list of the admin. problems you are having
> before Monday morning?  With the list of problems in hand, I am optimistic
> that we can work through everything and have a stable server back on-line
> early next week.  This really must get top priority.
I would still like to call sometime on Monday and Tuesday to talk to guys
about the system.  I would also like to talk to about what I have going on
with the analysis pipeline.  Let us know when a good time to call next week?

Kerr